Our current open position is below. We are also always looking for volunteers at the State & Bijou.
The below position has stopped accepting appliations and current applicants are under review. Thank you.
State Theatre and Bijou by the Bay House Manager
We are looking for a special person to work as full time house manager at two very special movie theaters, the likes of which are rarely found in these days of multiplexes and cine-malls: the State Theatre and Bijou by the Bay, two nonprofit independent art house movie theaters operated by the Traverse City Film Festival, run by Michael Moore in the beautiful Northern Michigan community of Traverse City.
The successful candidates will have a great love of movies. Movie theater experience and projection/technical aptitude are a plus; they are desired but not required. Knowledge of film history is also a plus. Because the work is in movie theaters, much of it takes place on weekends, nights, and holidays. We are looking for people who will go above and beyond our already high standards, standards that have made the State Theatre the #1 theater in the world, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.
The Traverse City Film Festival takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. See below for more details.
• Oversee world-class, professional presentation of first-run and classic films
• Supervise all aspects of theater operation including box office, concessions, projection, in-theater marketing, and customer service
• Work with community groups in presenting special events, and oversee special promotions for scheduled films
• Open and close the theater, including banking, cleaning, receiving, inventory, and stocking
• Train and oversee theater volunteers
• Assist with the Traverse City Film Festival
We are looking for people who believe in and are engaged in our mission, and are willing to collaborate in building and growing two of the best art houses in the country. The successful candidates should exhibit exceptional judgment, be excellent multi-taskers, extraordinarily well-organized, dedicated, efficient, communicative, and thrive in a team atmosphere. They should have an understanding of and appreciation for the missions of the State, Bijou, and TCFF. Successful candidates will be able to perform physically demanding work. Applicants should have:
• Ability to make pre-show announcements in an engaging manner befitting the theaters
• Comfort in communicating in a friendly, clear, and effective manner with patrons and all theater visitors
• Demonstrated management ability in a context involving customer service and volunteer staff; experience with movie theater operation is preferred
• Ability to use Microsoft Office, browsers, Google docs, and to process a large volume of email
• Ability to lift 50 pounds, clean large areas, and change marquees
• Ability to work a flexible schedule: weekend, nights and holidays are required
• Ability to operate computerized and mechanical systems involved in theater operations
• Demonstrated ability in working with banking, math, and box office operations
• Willingness to take direction and follow policies laid out by the board and executive director
• Ability to provide strong, friendly, and effective team leadership in a highly visible fast-paced environment that comes with high expectations
Executive director of the Traverse City Film Festival. Works closely with other house managers and projectionists.
Full health benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the job.
We are an Iraq/Afghanistan Veterans Affirmative Action Employer.
We encourage veterans, especially those from the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars, to apply for open positions when they are available. We post our open positions with local veterans groups and at active and reserve duty headquarters.
We are a business that reaches out to returning veterans and welcomes them back into the community with real employment and training that gives them a future here in northern Michigan. Veterans applying at our business are welcomed and, when possible, hired.
We believe the best way to thank our veterans for their service is not just to say it, but to do it. We hope you will join with the Traverse City Film Festival in seeking to hire veterans, and in supporting businesses that hire veterans.
Founder and President
Traverse City Film Festival
"Veterans, when your service ends, ours begins."
- Vice President Joe Biden